Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Revising My GAME Plan

Based on the small strides within my personal GAME plan and also the knowledge that I have gained through this Master's course I have began to understand that technology, even though I thought I knew it's opportunities, provides an limitless boundary in regards to resources. Dr. Tomlinson, in this week's learning resources explains the many opportunities that technology provides to our students through social networking sites like NING, Wiggio, Moodle, and Micro Blogging (Laureate 2009). She also explains the wide range of pros and cons that come hand in hand with these social networking opportunities. How does this relate to my GAME plan? Well, I had thought that I was making pretty good strides with achieving the goals of my GAME plan but after further reflection I realize that I have only made small steps. This realization has come at a opportune time because it allows me to change focus in certain areas to make further improvements. For example, I have and am currently engaged with my colleagues in a few professional development sessions to become trained in a new software that our district has adopted to promote parent/teacher communication. This falls right in line with the NETS-T indicator #5: Engage and Professional Growth in Leadership (ISTE 2008). With this training in the new software I plan on approaching those colleagues who didn't attend to help promote the positives of the program.
Additionally, personally I have implemented a few technological advances into my classroom on several occasions but hope to slightly change direction with my goal to ease our way into social networking as a classroom. I hope that this lives up to everything that Dr. Tomlinson states as positives; easier management, exposure to culture, expand learning, students teaching students, etc.... (Laureate 2009). I feel that if I can implement this efficiently and appropriately my students will be able to benefit both academically and socially.
Overall, I didn't plan on successfully accomplishing my goals of my GAME plan by the end of this course, but I understood that it is a marathon and not a sprint. The steady learning by both my students and I of what integration and methods are right for our learning will prove to be the answer in the long run. Following the outline of the GAME (Goals, Action, Monitor, Evaluate) will ensure a successful run at my goals.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). EDUC 6713 Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. [DVD]. Spotlight on Technology: Social Networking and Online Collaboration Part I & II. Dr. Tomlinson.

ISTE International Society for Technology. (2008). www.iste.org (NETS-S and Performance Indicators.

3 comments:

  1. Ty,

    I think that you're completely right when you say that "this is a marathon and not a sprint". One of my goals was directed to reflecting on my everyday teaching so that I could continue to be ever changing much like technology is. One of the greatest things you can do as a teacher is share all of your great ideas or new technology with other colleagues. Through my experiences of teaching in three schools with four different co-teachers, I've found that this has made more of an impact on my teaching than anything else.

    David Chiarella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty,
    Keep moving towards your goals within your GAME plan. Implementing new technology to your students is a great thing for them. I agree that within this course, it is hard to accomplish goals set. It seems like you are on the right track. Keep using your colleagues to get ideas for technology for your classrooms.
    Michael Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty,
    I like how you mentioned that reaching your goals is more of a marathon and not a sprint. You are absolutely right! In fact, once you reach the goals that you have set forth, there will most likely be other areas that you would like to advance your classroom in terms of using technology. When taking on new initiatives, I think it is important to work slowly and surely instead of getting in over your head. Good work on reaching towards your goals.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete