Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Evaluating My GAME Plan

Well, since a week has past I have managed to make some steady progress toward achieving my goals within my GAME plan. My accomplishing of the goals of integrating technology more often and reaching a higher learner within my students have had substantial progress. Each day I have integrated technology, somehow, within my daily lesson plans. This integration becomes more easily done in my classroom due to the fact that the structure is based on an online learning classroom. So far we, as a class, have implemented an online text reading software that will allow students of a lower reading level to put on a set of headsets and listen to the text provided by the online classroom. This software, which was provided by OPERA, was free and has, in a short time, made some student's level of learning increase.
In the past few weeks of both reviewing my GAME plan and also working through our weekly learning resources I have began to realize that no set teaching method will be suffice on a day to day basis. As I discovered this week problem based learning provides many positive features to the classroom. Dr. Ertmer in her video presentation made me realize that using problem based learning along with technology can make assessing, recording, developing collaboration skills, and teach students work through multi-step problems that involve multiple tasks easier for both of us in the classroom (Laureate 2009).
Synthesizing what I have learned about my GAME plan with what I have learned in regards to problem based learning is my next step. The question arises about, "how do I implement problem based learning into my classroom structure?" I believe if I can do this effectively then many of my GAME plan goals will become reality. Problem based learning will allow me more time to offer direct instruction in certain areas and also more reflective time with the students.
Finding a way to implement problem based learning into my classroom, efficiently, may take some time, but after successfully doing many skills, benchmarks, standards will be met by my students. I envision trying to slowly implement more problem based learning projects into my class to accomplish my goals, achieve student success, implement more technology, and provide a break in the typical routine.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). EDUC 6713 Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. [DVD]. Spotlight on Technology: Problem Based Learning Part I & II. Dr. Peggy Ertmer.

3 comments:

  1. Ty,

    I think you are making excellent progress towards your GAME plan. I have to say WOW, to the idea of implementing some sort of technology into your classroom everyday. If you are really using it to enhance a lesson (which it sounds as if you are) it could really make a difference in student learning? Have you found students are more engaged and excited for class knowing they will use some sort of technology?

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. .Ty,
    Making the students hear using headsets and helping them to come up to the expected level shows your dedication as an educator. Digital technology and grouping students according to their ability will help you to re-enforce problem based learning in the classroom

    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty,

    I think the most exciting thing about problem based learning was the idea of breaking out of the everyday routine. Having students actively engaged in something interesting excites me. I sometimes get bored teaching the needed skills and by using problem based learning we teach the skills, but in an interesting way.
    Cara Roberts

    ReplyDelete