Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Carrying Out My GAME Plan

Just as any coach, teacher, or mentor will tell you, "No GAME plan is successful without the proper structure, understanding, and dedication to your goals." In review of my personal GAME plan I see array of goals that are focused on my students, parents, classroom structure, and personal accomplishments. With this range of goals a focused attack will need to be put in place to see results. Dr. Cennamo refers to this development stage of the GAME plan as the "action" or "how to" part of achieving the goals (Laureate 2009).
In order to accomplish my personal GAME plan goals I will rely on many of my colleagues and the resources that surround me. I am lucky to work in a school district that's main goal is to prepare 21st Century Learners. What makes it even better is that they have the funds to do it. With that said, many professional development sessions are held on implementing technology to instill and promote creativity in the classroom. Also, these sessions are typically directed by my colleagues within the realm of the school district. This makes it possible for me to reconvene with them to discuss any further methods that will help reach my goal. Once these methods are gathered and formulated then it will up to me to implement them into my own classroom to help achieve my goal about increasing the rate of success and graduates that are developed from the online credit recovery program.
On the other hand, in order to reach my expectations I will also have to gather information and present it to our district officials about the need for a life skills class, in the realm of special education. In preparing for this push to implement life skills in our curriculum I will rely on other sources to preassess our students and share the results as a plea to the push. This will require online resources, student backgrounds, and a checklist of needs for the future.
So far my plan has developed faster than expected. The online credit recovery program has increase by a 25% success rate from last year's first semester up to this year's first semester. I have also attended a professional development seminar dealing with motivating the unmotivated student. These steps are small but are the beginning to accomplishing my goals.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). EDUC 6713I-1 Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. [DVD] Promoting Self-Directed Learning with Technology. Dr. Cennamo.

4 comments:

  1. Ty,

    I am interested in your online credit recovery program. We currently have credit recovery in mathematics at our high school. Students go to school either in the morning or afternoon and work independently, but there is a teacher in there to help them out. I think students would have more accountability if it was online and have to make themselves more motivated to do it. Do students work outside of school to work on their credit recovery or do they have to be in school, or on during a certain time during the day?

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty,
    What more a dedicated teacher wants. Good school with the latest teacher and funds for new resources to promote 21st century learning. Developing creativity in the classroom is the main fundamental step to make the students self directed and prepares them for the 21st century workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty,
    It is great that you work at a school that already focuses on 21st century skills. It is obvious that they are looking to the future and the skills that your students will need. I am guessing that will definitely help you out when trying to get the new class for life skills approved. It may be a lot of work to get the class approved and designed, but it will definitely be a worthwhile adventure. Also, congratulations on the progress towards your goals and the improvement of the online credit recovery program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meagan,
    The students are able to complete the program anywhere that they have internet access. I have some students assigned to me during school and some who are responsible to complete it on their own.
    Ty

    ReplyDelete