Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blog Post: Relationship of Instructional Strategies with the Cognitive Learning Theory
When thinking of Dr. Orey’s description of the Cognitive Learning Theory I seem to sum it up as a way to trigger students memories to retrieve already learned data through the use of auditory and visual learning methods. Conducting instruction in a way that students can relate to the materials introduced to something in their own life allows students to create a file, of some sort, that when that object of their own life is remembered, so is the content. Dr. Orey states that it is like a network and each idea is related or connected to other ideas (Laureate 2009). The instructional strategies presented in this week’s reading resources align perfectly with Dr. Orey’s description of the Cognitive Learning Theory.
The use of cues, questions, and advanced organizers seem to provide a well rounded structure for students to create a foundation of knowledge that they may use to retrieve, use, or organize data. All three of the strategies to promote learning touch base with Dr. Orey’s Cognitive Learning Theory by providing a well balanced use of auditory and visual learning components. Technology is readily available in these strategies also by allowing teachers and students to use a variety of technology tools to create visually appealing organizers (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, Malenoski 2007). The use of cues, questions, and advanced organizers seem to have a way to reinforce learning and keep the task manageable to students, in which, Dr. Orey says is one of the key components to success with this theory. For example, the use of multimedia tools allow educators to make a topic more relatable to students, which in return allows the students to make more connections in their own “network”.
The summarizing and note taking instructional strategy focuses on improving student’s ability to put new information into their own words (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, Malenoski 2007). This instructional strategy also relates to the Cognitive Learning Theory by allowing students to input extraneous information into their “network” in their own way, so it may be retrieved later down the road. It seems that a lot of the Cognitive Learning Theory is built upon how students organize information and this instructional strategy aids in the structure that it is organized in. For example, note taking has many different looks, as to how it is presented in the classroom, but it may use the presence of text along with pictographs that produce a strong impact on students (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, Malenoski 2007). When note taking is presented in this form is goes along with Paivios’s Dual Coding Hypothesis, where students are believed to learn better with the aid of images instead of just text. Note taking and summarization go hand in hand with the Cognitive Learning Theory due to the fact that they allow students to store information in their own words and when presented correctly, images aid text so students can label the topic in their “network”.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Bridging learning theory, instruction,

and technology. Baltimore: Author

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom

instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. Ah triggers....this reminds me of driving home recently with my sainted husband who was listening to Kenny Loggins greatest hits with me even though it isn't his bag. As soon as I heard the drum machine and guitar rif begin I was covered in goosebumps! 18 years disappeared and I was dancing around in my living room with my sister. I could remember every detail right down to the brownies we baked that night for our sleepover and the footy socks I was wearing (they had red pom-pom's on the back of each ankle). I also remembered the whip lash, sore neck I had endured the next day after whipping my head around like some 80's princess in a chiffon prom dress.

    Years later, I took an amazing dance class at my university and was assigned to create a dance with original choreography. Flinging my 6 foot self around a meeting room in my dorm basement, I was inspired to run up and grab my cassette of Footloose. It did the trick. While my dance may not have warranted the attention of Ginger Rogers, it was FUN! That feeling of wild abandon must have translated into my dancing, because my professor gave me an A for interpretation : )

    Who doesn't know that feeling that you had the first time that you realized what power you had; separate from your parents, siblings and friends? THAT is what the song Footloose meant to me, and had my Freshman year Political Science professor tapped into that network, I might very well be running for State Senator right now rather than teaching!

    Thanks for reminding me that each of my kids has a "Footloose". I'm excited to get back to school to learn what excites each of them so that we can tap into that network and wildly 80's dance, DOMINATE learning!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i4rA_Zgl7A&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology is an excellent tool that teachers can use to differentiate instruction to help students learn concepts. Technology allows the teacher to address the needs of the visual, auditory, and the kinesthetic style of learners. I use technology to help students understand concepts and to help enhance students' computer skills. I am learning that when I am able to make a real life connections with students they will retain that knowledge and be able to apply it in the future. The Cognitive Learning Theory helps to support the fact that student achievement will improve if students are given a variety of ways to learn concepts in class. I will definitely use instructional strategies such as summarizing, note taking, questioning, and advance organizers to help students become more engaged in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important for students to have options when taking notes. Technology allows for these options but it is ultimately up to the students to turn information presented to them into some form that they can use to retain that information. Do you find that some students do not transform the notes into a meaningful format of their own and simply copy exactly what you give them? If so, how do you handle these students?

    ReplyDelete